(Vote Yes or No for Each)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Andrea Lynn Hoch
70.4% Yes votes ......
29.6% No votes
- Occupation: Associate Justice
- Governor's Legal Affairs Secretary (Chief Counsel) (2005-2011)
- Administrative Director, California Division of Workers' Compensation (2004-2005)
- Chief Assistant Attorney General, Civil Division, California Attorney General's Office (2002-2004)
- Senior Assistant, Supervising and Deputy Attorney General, California Attorney General's Office (1992-2002)
- Legal Counsel, California Public Employment Relations Board and California Agricultural Labor Relations Board (1987-1992)
- Private Practice (1985-1987)
Vance W. Raye
- To consistently and fairly apply the law to the facts of each case
- To write legal opinions that are timely and clearly explain the reasoning of the court
- To treat everyone who comes before the court with courtesy, dignity and respect
69.9% Yes votes ......
30.1% No votes
- Occupation: Presiding Justice
- Former Judge, Sacramento Superior Court
- Former Legal Affairs Secretary (Legal Counsel) for Governor George Deukmejian
- Former Senior Assistant Attorney General
- Former Judge Advocate, United States Air Force
- Co-Author, "California Civil Practice Family Law Litigation."
- Graduate, University of Oklahoma. Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society. President's Leadership Award.
William J. Murray, Jr.
- To treat litigants fairly and with respect.
- To adhere faithfully to the rule of law.
- To apply the law with reason and common sense.
70.7% Yes votes ......
29.3% No votes
- Occupation: Associate Justice, since 2010.
- Rated exceptionally well qualified by the commission tasked with evaluating judicial appointees when appointed to the Court of Appeal in 2010.
- Judge, San Joaquin County Superior Court 1995 to 2010; Presiding Judge 2008 & 2009.
- Appointed by the Chief Justice of California to serve on the California Judicial Council 2003-2006, Criminal Law Advisory Committee 2002-2003.
- Judicial education instructor since 2002; author of judicial education materials.
- Prosecutor San Joaquin County District Attorney's Office 1986-1995, second in command 1992-1995; Prosecutor Brooklyn, NY 1982-1986.
- George Washington Univ. Law School 1982; Frostburg St. Univ. 1979 magna cum laude, B.S. double major pol. science & econ.
Ronald B. Robie
- To decide cases fairly, based on the rule of law and not based on personal agenda.
- To make sure that all parties feel their arguments have been heard and that they had their day in court.
- To continue to be active in the legal and local communities.
68.6% Yes votes ......
31.4% No votes
- Occupation: Associate Justice, Court of Appeal
- Former Judge, Sacramento Superior and Municipal Courts
- Former Director, California Department of Water Resources
- Former Vice Chair, State Water Resources Control Board
- Chair, California Commission on Access to Justice
- Chair, Supreme Court Committe on Judicial Ethics Opinions
- Graduate, McGeorge School of Law (first in class), JD and University of California, Berkeley AB, MJ
Elena J. Duarte
- To decide cases fairly and without bias
- To faithfully follow the laws and the Constitutions of the United States and the State of California
- To treat everyone before the court with respect
66.4% Yes votes ......
33.6% No votes
- Occupation: Associate Justice (since 2010)
- Judge, Superior Court, County of Sacramento, 2008-2010
- Judge, Superior Court, County of Los Angeles, 2007-2008
- Assistant U.S. Attorney (Federal Prosecutor, Criminal Division, Los Angeles and Sacramento) 1994-2007
- Chief, Cyber and I.P. Crimes Section, Los Angeles, 2005-2007
- Attorney General's Honor Program, Washington D.C., 1992-1994
- Graduate, Stanford Law School, 1992
- To be fair, impartial, and efficient
- To treat all litigants, lawyers, and the public with respect
- To faithfully follow the rule of law without bias or prejudice
66.3% Yes votes ......
33.7% No votes
- Occupation: Associate Justice, Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District
- Sacramento County Superior Court Judge, 2009-2010
- Chief Deputy Legal Affairs Secretary, Office of the Governor, 2006-2009
- Senior Assistant Attorney General, California Department of Justice, 2003-2006
- Deputy Attorney General, California Department of Justice, 1994-2002
- Private Law Practice (Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher / Boutin Gibson), 1988-1994
- Clerkship (Staff Attorney), California Supreme Court, 1987-1988
Jonathan K. Renner
- Interpret and apply the law with fairness, integrity, clarity and restraint.
- Improve public access to the courts by reducing delay and expanding options for online communication.
- Continue community outreach and civics education.
64.7% Yes votes ......
35.3% No votes
- Occupation: Legal Affairs Secretary (Chief Counsel) for the Governor
- Senior Assistant Attorney General, California Department of Justice, 2009 - 2010
- Supervising Deputy Attorney General, California Department of Justice, 2006 - 2009
- Deputy Attorney General, California Department of Justice, 2000 - 2006
- Private Law Practice, 1997 - 2000
- Rated "Well Qualified" for judicial appointment by the State Bar
- Unanimously confirmed by the Commission on Judicial Appointments
- To apply the law in a thoughtful and fair manner
- To work hard for the People of the State of California
- To maintain a commitment to public service
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
California Courts of Appeal
Informed Voter Project
- This California Election
- Find more information about the justices and the issues: objective information on evaluation of judicial candidates to allow voters to make informed choices in selecting members of the third branch of government.
- Profiles of Justices
- Like Wikipedia, anyone may edit information on this monitored site. See who appointed each justice and other information about each.
Candidate Forums, Debates or Interviews
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.