(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
- Party: Republican
- Occupation: Businessman/Entrepreneur
- "Rookie Teacher of the Year"
Cruz M. Bustamante
- I'll vigorously enforce the law to ban "Use it and Lose it."
- I will aggressively seek prosecution of all those who are profiteering through fraudulent claims.
- I will crack down on uninsured drivers and work to get them off of our highways.
- Party: Democratic
- Occupation: California Lt. Governor
Dale F. Ogden
- I will make insurance rates affordable.
- I will guarantee access to insurance for all Californians.
- I will bring health insurance under the regulatory authority of the Insurance Commissioner.
- Party: Libertarian
- Occupation: Actuary/Insurance Consultant
- Associate Casualty Actuarial Society
- Associate Society of Actuaries
- Member American Academy of Actuaries
- Member International Actuarial Association
- Consultant to California Guaranty Association
- Libertarian Candidate for Insurance Commissioner 1998 & 2002
- Enhance Solvency Regulation to reduce cost of insurance company failures
- Cut administrative bloat to reduce Insurance Department budget by $100 million
- Reform the Conservation and Liquidation Office to save $billions
- Party: Green
- Occupation: Newspaper Editor
- Liaison to the Secretary of State, Green Party of California
- County Council Member, Green Party of Santa Cruz County
- Chairperson, Green Party of San Lorenzo Valley
- Fix Workers' Compensation So-Called 'Reform'
- Facilitate Introduction of Single Payer Health Care
- Commissioner must be a Consumer Advocate, not an industry "rubber stamp"
- Party: Peace and Freedom
- Occupation: Writer
- Received 281,276 votes (3.9%) as Peace & Freedom Party candidate for Insurance Commissioner in 1990
- Founding West Coast member, Teamsters for a Democratic Union
- Member of Peace and Freedom Party since 1967
Jay Earl Burden
- Crack down on insurance company discrimination, redlining and fraudulent denial of claims
- A single public system of health care for all, without insurance company profits
- A state automobile liability insurance program to cover every car and driver on the road
- Party: American Independent
- Occupation: Student
Basic candidate data supplied by the Secretary of State.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
Easy Voter Guide
Statements and Interviews
- Video Voter
- Select "Insurance Commissioner", then candidate name to see a statement by Bustamante, Cafiero, Condit. Produced by Center for Governmental Studies (2 min. each)
- Free AirTime Project
- Select "Insurance Commissioner" then candidate name to see interviews of Bustamante, Cafiero, Condit. Requires Adobe Flash and Windows Media Player. Produced by the California Channel. (30 min. each)
State of California
Campaign Finance Data
Secretary of State
Around the Capitol
News and Analysis
CBS5.com, SF Bay Area
Google News Search
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.
This election is archived. Any links to sources outside of Smart Voter may no longer be active. No further links will be added to this page.