This information is provided by the candidate
I am running for California Attorney General because I want to use the powers of the office to champion human rights and protect working families and the environment. I will fight President Bush's continuing assault on the rule of law and his relentless efforts to preempt California laws.
As Attorney General, I hope to accomplish the following goals:
I believe the breadth of my experience gives me a unique understanding of the issues we face in California today. As Governor, I reviewed and signed into law significant pieces of legislation. As Secretary of State, I served as Chief Elections Officer and as Mayor, I have had operational responsibility for managing one of the most complex and diverse cities in America. Upon taking office as Mayor I emphasized three goals: reducing crime, revitalizing the downtown and encouraging charter schools. All 3 have been accomplished: Going into my eighth year:
- Work with local police to make our communities as safe as possible;
- Defend a woman's right to choose in the face of mounting efforts to erode this fundamental right;
- Fight federal pre-emption of state laws--particularly environmental laws and our unique state law curbing greenhouse gases;
- Ensure that our California wage and hour laws and regulations are vigorously enforced, especially in low wage sectors where working people are exploited;
Indicative of my lifelong commitment to the people of California are the following actions and initiatives:
- Crime is down over 30 percent. I have fought for tougher laws to keep criminals off the streets by imposing a strict curfew for those who have committed serious crimes at night and was a leader in the campaign to defeat Proposition 66 - an attempt to dismantle California's three strikes law.
- New housing units for more than 10,000 people have been approved and are either built or under construction.
- I have established several excellent charter schools in Oakland.
If you would like to learn more, please visit my website at http://www.jerrybrown.org or contact my campaign headquarters at (510) 628-0202.
- Uncompromising defense of a woman's right to choose, including fighting successfully for Medi-Cal funding of abortions in the face legislative opposition,
- Bold environmental and alternative energy initiatives, including the California Conservation Corps (CCC), the nation's first building and appliance efficiency standards, a 55% solar tax credit and signing into permanent law the California Coastal Commission,
- Authored Political Reform Act of 1974,
- Provided--for the first time--pregnancy benefits under the Disability Insurance program,
- Made Oakland one of the top ten green cities in America and committed the city to 5 megawatts of solar power, and
- Created jobs: 25% of all U.S. jobs created during my tenure as governor were created in California.