- Occupation: Incumbent
- First member of his family to go to college, and earned dual bachelors degrees, a masters degree and his docterate from California universities
- As a teacher, worked with under-represented youth, incarcerated youth and adults, and secondary and college students
- He has served as a principal and assistant before being elected County Superintendentsuperintendent
- He was named Outstanding County Superintendent in 1995, and was honored by Hartnell College & San Jose State University as Distinguished Alumni
- Presented the Outstanding Public Service Award by the Farm Bureau.
- President of the California County Superintendents Association in 2001, and has been on the Boards of the Steinbeck Center & Panetta Institute