(Vote for 1)
Click on highlighted
name for additional information supplied by candidate.
Contact non-highlighted candidates and encourage them to provide information for
Jose A. Velasquez
Marc J. Del Piero, Esq.
- Occupation: Judge of the Superior Court
- Occupation: Attorney-At-Law
- CA State Water Resources Control Board - Ordered Los Angeles to return water and restore the environment of Mono Lake in the Eastern Sierras
- Monterey County Board of Supervisors - Established three senior centers, day care facility for migrant children, & the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary
- Monterey County Planning Commission - Wrote the North Monterey County Local Coastal Plan
- Santa Clara University Law Professor - 1992 to present
- Private Practice - 22 years of experience
- Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council - Represented CA Environmental Protection Agency
- Restore Integrity and Respect to the Court with Reason not Bias
- Expand the public's knowledge of court procedures and policies
- Improve court coordination with law enforcement agencies
- Occupation: Deputy District Attorney
- More than 29 years of courtroom experience.
- Graduate of Stanford University [With Distinction, and With Honors in the Humanities], and Yale Law School.
- Conducted more than 100 jury trials, both civil and criminal.
- Argued appeals before state and federal appellate courts, in both civil and criminal cases.
- Handled death penalty cases, both as prosecutor and as defense attorney.
- Monterey County prosecutor since 1995.
- Thorough knowledge of law and procedure.
- Even-handed application of the law.
- A professional, not a politician.
Basic candidate data supplied by the applicable elections official.
All candidates have been invited to supply additional information to Smart Voter.
Order of candidates is random and changes daily.
- How do you judge a judicial candidate?
News and Analysis
- Candidates Forum
- At KAZU's Art Gallery, on Thursday, February 21, 2002. Starts at 7:06 p.m. and continues to 9. All candidates have confirmed their attendance. The Leagues of Women Voters of Monterey Peninsula and the Salinas Valley, KAZU and the Monterey County Bar Association are the co-sponsors. The forum will be moderated by the League. Tune to 90.3FM on your radio dial. On the internet? Go to http://www.kazu.org. Questions can be called in at 375-3082 or emailed in, as there is limited space in the room, which is at 167 Central Avenue in Pacific Grove. For questions, please contact Melissa Hlebasko at 656-9529.
- Candidates' Forum
- All candidates are confirmed to attend this forum. It is being held on Tuesday, February 26th at the National Steinbeck Center. This will be at the Downtown Salinas Rotary meeting at noon. The forum will be moderated by the League of Women Voters. You must CONFIRM your attendance by calling Brett Harrell at 751-7510. For information on the forum, contact Stephanie Loose at 757-2871.
Monterey County Herald
Links to sources outside of Smart Voter are provided for information only and do not imply endorsement.