This is an archive of a past election.
See for current information.
LWV League of Women Voters of California Education Fund

Smart Voter
Los Angeles County, CA November 2, 2004 Election
Candidates Answer Questions on the Issues
United States Representative; District 37

The questions were prepared by the League of Women Voters of California and asked of all candidates for this office.

See below for questions on Federal Resources, Foreign Policy, Federal Budget

Click on a name for other candidate information.   See also more information about this contest.

1. What can be done to ensure that California gets its fair share of federal resources?

Answer from Herb Peters:

Every business has overhead, even the federal government.

The federal government overhead is so "excessive" we are better off not accepting federal aid.

For example, "Helping the Poor;" 72 cents of every federal dollar budgeted is spent on the government employees and their facilities and equipment!

The reality, then, we would be better off paying for things ourselves.

Let's examine a little more: Lets say we want to accept money from the feds for schools or police or some other essential. Our local federal recipient puts an excessive effort into keeping the federal agency happy + rather than keeping the local people happy.

What we get is a local agency that gets a small part of its budger - say 5% of its money from the feds - and the other 95% from the local community. But, the local agency "salutes" the federal agency and tends to shun the locals.

This is not acceptable to me.

I want our schools to keep the local parents happy. Same idea with other local agencies such as the police.

Therefore: No federal aid to our local police, no federal aid to education. We want these agencies serving us + NOT some federal agent in Washington DC.

Just say NO to federal aid.

Herb Peters Candidate for US Representative, California's 37th Congressional District

2. What are your foreign policy priorities for the United States?

Answer from Herb Peters:


We have troops in 144 of 200 nations in the world!

Our troops are there, in some nations, keeping oppressive dictators in power + remember the Shaw of Iran. No wonder they hate us!

Let's bring troops home. Reduce Terrorism Threat. Save Billions.

3. What are your priorities for the federal budget?

Answer from Herb Peters:

Get it balanced and smaller.

No federal aid to anyone. No subsidies to anyone.

Reduce the size of the federal government. Socialism does not work. It failed in the Soviet Union, it failed in Rome and it is failing here. Our federal debt of about $74 trillion is adequate proof that socialism has failed here.

Responses to questions asked of each candidate are reproduced as submitted to the League. 

The order of the candidates is random and changes daily.

This Contest || Home (Ballot Lookup) || About Smart Voter || Feedback
Created: December 15, 2004 13:39 PST
Smart Voter <>
Copyright © League of Women Voters of California Education Fund.
The League of Women Voters neither supports nor opposes candidates for public office or political parties.